While I was on vacation I often had an idea pop in my head and feel the urge to write about it my blog. Why, why, why?
I think I've been writing this blog for over three years. Here is my very first post. Since then I must have spent innumerable hours writing. It is almost like an addiction.
Why? I've given this thought over the months and years, and also have had to answer the question more than once. Here's what I think:
- When you work on your own like I do, you miss the usual outlet of popping into someone's office to tell them or show them or share with them something interesting, cool, funny or great that you experienced or saw. Writing it on my blog gives me an alternate outlet.
- Often I write in my blog for my own future reference. Something which I think is useful or memorable often gets put down just so I can later remind myself of what I was thinking and working on at the time.
- It's definitely a kick to know that anyone on earth can read what I write, and in fact that thousands are doing so every day or so.
- I am obsessed with the phenomenon of blogging (viz. BlogBridge and related projects)
- It's a live, rich and personal testimony of who I am and what I am about, kind of an online professional reputation which is part of my professional persona and supports my consulting.
- I guess I love writing.